Saturday, August 10, 2013

Tarangire National Park: Safari Day One

July 24

This morning when I woke up, I tried to unzip the comforter.  No joke.  I couldn’t figure out how to get out of bed since there was no zipper!!  That is one sound I will not miss – ziiiip, ziiip…everyone getting out of their tents at night to go to the bathroom.

Stanley was our driver and he picked the three of us up at 8:30 after we’d had a relatively good breakfast.  Tarangire National Park was about 2.5 hours away and the roads were AWFUL.  The detours (they were paving the main road) ran like frontage roads along the sides, but they were dirt, in terrible shape, and had speed bumps.  It was crazy.  We chatted the whole time about the mountain.

On the way, Marc became fascinated with termite mounds until he finally asked Stanley to stop so he could take a picture.  Brian told me to get out and stand by the mound for perspective and that became a joke for the whole safari “Steph, go lay down by the elephant poop so we can have perspective!”  “Steph, go sit on that lion for perspective!”
For perspective!

At the gate of Tarangire, there were a lot of vervet monkeys around, leaping on cars, climbing the trees…they really wanted tourists to feed them, but the signs warned us against it.  Marc thought they were very funny because the males have very large blue testicles.

Vervet monkey
Once inside, on more dirt roads, we saw impala, zebra, and wildebeest right away, with the zebras crossing the road right in front of the car.  It was incredible.  We saw a secretary bird, a few giraffes at a distance, and then…elephants.  I cried.  I cried like four times that day.  Elephants are completely amazing.
Wildebeest.

At lunch we were beset by starlings, who obviously wanted crumbs, and the view from our lunch spot was gorgeous.  Stanley told us to be careful with our food since there were black kites (birds) flying around and they could be very aggressive for food.  He’d even seen one break a guy’s nose while stealing his sandwich.  I kept a close eye on those darn things while I ate.  First ravens wanting underwear, then kites wanting food…crazy African birds.

Mommy and baby elephant - this was without a zoom!
After lunch we saw dwarf mongoose and giraffes again, really close up this time!!  Someone spotted a leopard farther into the park and though we drove there as fast as we could, we didn’t spot him.  We did, however, get very close to baby and mommy elephants (I cried…again), ostriches, and a few waterbuck.  It was a most amazing day.

Giraffes
At one point, the whole road was covered in baboons – must have been almost 100 of them.  As we drove, we could see a bunch climbing down from a tree and they kept coming and coming, like a clown car!  How many baboons fit in an acacia tree?  The world may never know.  Once they had stopped climbing down, they paused a moment, then all started climbing back up!!  We just watched and laughed.
A road more traveled - by baboons!!
On our way out, we stopped at a Masai women’s cooperative so I could buy a bracelet for myself.  I didn’t haggle – they need the money and I had it, so I paid what they asked.  We had a two hour drive to the Ngorongoro Farm House ahead of us.

I think all three of us snoozed in the car, though I tried to read my book.  I was determined to finish it before we left on the plane so I could only pack one book for the plane ride.  The views out the window were great, though, so I was frequently distracted.

The grounds of the farmhouse - the smell was divine!
The Ngorongoro Farm House was incredible.  The grounds were amazingly fantastic, covered in coffee plants, banana trees, and all sorts of flowers.  The smell in the air was redolent with natural perfume and I was in heaven.  My mother would have LOVED that place.  Our room was called Tumbili (named after those blue-balled monkeys…how fitting!!) and had two double beds, both hung with netting.  Double beds just aren’t big enough, so we knew we’d be sleeping separately.  We also had a big mud fireplace and a bathroom!  The windows were all screened and open, so there was plenty of fresh air.

Our room - two smaller double beds meant we had to sleep
separately, which was the only bummer.
The Ngorongoro Farm House main building
Since it was almost time for dinner, we headed back to the main house for a display of Masai dancing before the feast.  I felt so rich here, I swear – Marc had a cup of coffee that smelled like God made it himself and I had a Fanta (I know, I’m obsessed) and we had small snacks before the restaurant opened.  Dinner was buffet and they had lamb chops, lentils, stewed mushrooms, chicken soup, fresh vegetables, rice, goat cheese pasta, oh my god….and the dessert table had chocolate bread pudding, pineapple cheesecake, and a cheese tray…heaven.  Again.  I found heaven a LOT in Africa.  And the food was fresh, made with ingredients frown on the farm itself.

Masai Dancing before dinner
After dinner, we sat on the back deck to chat.  Since Brian’s room was right next to ours, our decks were attached.  He had a cigar while we chatted and there was a bat that was very grateful we had the light on for the bugs.  He kept flying by happily munching and when he wasn’t flying over us, we could hear him in the tree talking to himself.  The moon tonight was a smoky orange and absolutely beautiful.

That night I slept in my bed with the netting down, even though I didn’t really need it.  We hadn’t seen any bugs the entire time we’d been on the mountain, nor had we seen any at the farm house, but it seemed wrong not to use it.  I did put mosquito repellent on the next day, though, just in case.

The Farm House was laid out with duplexes of rooms scattered over the grounds.  All the walkways were through jungle with the smell of the fields of flowers lingering in the air.  The lodge itself was amazing, and I am so glad we got to stay there.  And it was a fluke!  We were supposed to stay at the Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge, but they booted us because we were such a small group.  YAY for US!!


Stephanie, Brian, and Marc under a banana tree!



No comments:

Post a Comment