Sunday, August 4, 2013

Shira One to Shira Two - Day Three

July 18
11500 feet – 13650 feet
5.7 miles, 4 hours

Our regular routine on the trail was wake up at 6:30, breakfast at 7:00, then get moving around 8:00 or so for the day.  Today’s hike was gradual, though heading up to 13,000 feet was still a lot of work.   It was a shorter day, leaving us some free time in the afternoon which I will describe later.

On the path, Sandi came up with a new word:  she calls the Freshette a “fenis” and decided that, since we peed standing up beside each other, now we’re bros.  God, she made me laugh every single day – such an amazing person.  I really noticed my breathing today – what amazed me about this hike was that I rarely needed to use my inhaler – it wasn’t necessary.  I think I had four with me and I used it maybe three times in eight days.  I wonder if that had to do with both the thinness of the air and the clarity of what we were breathing.  There was certainly no pollution on the mountain (other than the regular human kind).

Taking a break on the plateau.
Since our hike was only about four hours today, we had lunch once we got to camp.  The porters welcomed us into camp again, singing (no nasty German this time) and Marc filmed it.  I can’t get the songs out of my head and still, even as I’m writing this blog, I can hear them.  Such great voices we have among our group!!

Lunch was pumpkin soup and I have decided that I love soup.  I am thinking of making shirts that say “Will Walk for Soup” and I also think that ClimbKili should make a cookbook.  I would totally buy it.  But I digress.

Because we had some extra time, we were offered warm water for washing our clothes.  Hallelujah!  Our clothes were getting kind of ripe, so it was nice to put on fresh and wash some of the dirt away.  Of course, the dirt doesn’t actually come off.  It’s so fine that it stick to everything, including every single line of your hand.  I don’t know how many times I tried to wash my hands completely clean until I just gave up and lived with dirty hands.  Oh well.  Snot was brown, too, so I figured I was so full of dirt that dirty hands weren’t going to matter.
Warm Water preparation - these guys are angels!
Marc washed and I hung the clothes on the sides of our tent to maximize our use of sunshine.  We didn’t have too much left, about four hours, but we crossed our fingers that it would be enough (it wasn’t – some things just got packed wet).  What we had to look out for were the white-necked ravens (Max called them Kilimanjaro chickens).  These were cheeky birds, I kid you not!!  We witnessed them steal some guy’s underwear from another camp, so Marc sat near our laundry and kept a good eye on it lest any of those birds got any ideas about my chonies.
Cheeky Bird!  He didn't even move when Marc took a picture.

Marc pointed out that washing the clothes at that altitude was really quite hard – lots of work.  And we went through about five changes of water, things were so filthy.

I made necklaces for the porters this afternoon with pipestone beads that I had brought from home.  I wanted to give them something special for all the work they did and they seemed to like the gift.  At least, most of them continued to wear the necklaces for the whole climb, which was very nice.  Sandi had some time this afternoon to do yoga, which had all the porters and guides staring at her.  She is VERY good and looked amazing doing her poses on the rocks near camp.

Shira Two camp was very rocky, which proved to make navigation interesting.  The sun, however, felt amazing.  During the entire climb, as long as you were in the sun, things weren’t too bad.  As soon as the sun went down, things started getting very cold.  It was probably 25 degrees at night.  I fell in love with my sleeping bag.  Had I not been married, I might have run off with it.

Camp was high enough that we were above the clouds.  So cool!!

At one point, I stood up and realized that my knee was really stiff.  I could remember hitting it on something while we were walking and, sure enough, I had a nice bruise forming.  I limped around awhile, but the more I moved the better it felt, so I just kept walking. 
DInner Stories
 I started reading before dinner today, selection from Mary Roach My Planet, which is a collection of short essays.  Easy to read with not a whole lot of air and they don’t last too long, so I could read one or two depending on the audience.  And she’s funny, which was a good way to end the day!

Our dinner conversation that night revolved around body functions and had some of us crying with laughter.  Jen and Sandi were having trouble with poop, so Jen decided that she was going to make a white flag and raise it above the camp toilet once she had accomplished something.  She also sort of wants to hold it until she gets to the summit so she can leave a piece of herself behind.  She’s insane.

Tim, who asked us to stop talking about poop the night before, actually came forward with a poop story.  He stayed a night on top of the Great Wall in China and there were no facilities, so in the morning, he just stuck his butt over the edge and pooped on the Wall.  He gets a big gold star – both for the story and for the location.

A note on the camp toilet – it’s a chemical toilet with no frills, but at least it’s a place to sit down.  It’s contained in a small square tent, large enough to stand up in, with a zipper up one side that has a tendency to get stuck – this will be important later.


The camp toilet - at least it's something to sit on!

Once again, I stopped drinking at dinner, deciding that deliberate dehydration was infinitely better than constant urination at night.  By the mornings, my urine was pretty concentrated, but it didn’t take long to bring it back to normal.  This helped me sleep.

My one regret of this trip is that I didn’t take a picture at every place I stopped to pee – I had some awesome views at those times and a pee journal would have been very entertaining.  And that’s about enough for body functions, though I’m sure they will come up again later.
The mountain at sunrise - our tent is hidden by the bush.

Marc and I started doing devotions in our tent at night, reading the small booklet we took from church – it was nice to read a passage and a few positive words at the end of each day.  I was also wearing long underwear, my fleece, and a hat at night – it got COLD once the sun was down.

Clothing notes:

  • Days One, Two, and Three: T-shirt and pants
  • Day Four: T-shirt, jacket, and shorts with longer underwear underneath.
  • Day Five: T-shirt, long sleeve shirt, jacket, long underwear, and pants (layers were stripped later)
  • Day Six: Same as Day Five
  • Summit Night: will discuss later
  • Day Seven: T-shirt, long sleeve shirt, pants.
  • Day Eight: Same as Day Seven

No comments:

Post a Comment