Friday, August 9, 2013

Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate and Off the Mountain: Day Eight

July 23
10000 feet – 5400 feet
3.7 miles, 4 hours

38.9 miles altogether, minus the two miles or so we missed on the night of the summit attempt.

We woke up a little earlier today, 6:00 AM, to get an early start on the way down.  It was hard to leave camp this last time – it had become home for us.  We got a great picture with all the porters and guides which I will treasure forever, and we bid farewell to the tent.  Marc was certainly not sorry to see the tent go and I think all of us were a little lighter on our feet with the promise of a shower in the future.
Takes 24 people for 5 to hike the mountain - all our porters, guides, and us!

The trail down through the rainforest was very wet (go figure) and it rained lightly on us the entire way.  The dark red dirt was muddy and well-traveled and I had to be careful where I put my feet.  Anderson, of course, helped in the questionable spots, but otherwise we were allowed to walk at our leisure.  Our pace didn’t matter anymore, since now we weren’t acclimatizing anymore.  It is really hard to go downhill – our legs are really sore and each step becomes a curse unless you’re thinking of something else.

The rainforest was fantastic and it actually RAINED!
Our other three walked much faster than I did.  James went ahead with them and Max and Anderson stayed back with us.  We mosied, though I did learn that Marc was stifled following me this entire time.  For the morning, he would stop and take a picture, then run to catch up with me to stretch his legs.  Going at my pace must have been killing him for the past eight days.  I wish he would have told me sooner – he didn’t have to follow me the whole time…

Max picked a beautiful flower for a picture, then gave it to me: Impatiens kilimanjari.  The flower looks sort of like an elephant face and only grows on the rainforest slopes of Kilimanjaro.  I tucked the flower into my pack strap and they promised to tell me when to hide it so I wouldn’t get in trouble for having it.  Now it is pressed in the back of my journal and I will treasure it.

Impatiens kilimanjari
The others waited for us about twenty minutes from the gate so we could all walk in together, victorious.  It was quite a rush to finish as we started, as a group, through a gate.  And what a great surprise was waiting for us!!

The celebratory beer - I actually drank a Fanta, but this
was a good picture opportunity!
A fabulous celebratory lunch was waiting, with Fanta and Kilimanjaro beer, which was great!  Jen and I sang for the porters (Thank You) and then we ate, serenaded by a Swahili guy with a guitar who sang all his songs in Spanish.  I kid you not, it was very unreal.  La Bamba, La Cucharacha, etc…he was very good, though.

Amazing Lunch!
We ate our lunch on someone’s front porch and there was a small child nearby.  I gave him a chocolate bar and Marc paid his father to wash our boots for us, which is how a lot of people around the bottom seem to make their money – I think we got asked twenty times to have our boots washed.

There were FLUSH TOILETS in the bathrooms – completely awesome.  We did a potty dance in the bathroom in thanks.

Jafar, the young man who carried Marc and my bags all over the mountain
This was his first time being a porter!  I gave him my fleecy when we left.
When lunch was finished, we loaded up into the truck for our drive back to Arusha.  We had prepared with chocolate and pens for the small children who came up to the road in the banana fields on the way out so we had treats to throw to them.  It felt very good to pass on these small things.

Said goodbye to Tim at his hotel and it was very hard.  Much harder than I thought it would be.  He’s family, always will be.  So we’ll just have to meet again somewhere else.

We went to the hotel and showered, got fresh water, and felt a million times better.  Lillian was there to debrief us at 4 and gave us our safari itinerary for the next few days, which was exciting.  The adventure was not quite over, though we would have to say goodbye in another few hours.  Jen, Sandi, and Tim were going on a different safari than we were, which was sad.

We asked for a driver to take us to the Masai Market for one last shopping trip and Lillian said he was on his way with another client and in walks Emmanuel with Brian a few minutes later!!  It was great to see Brian, to tell him all about what we had done, and to realize that he was going to get to do it, too, in just a few days.

We all went to the Masai Market as a group and I bought the sandals and the masks I had been looking at before the climb. They were still there, so it was meant to be!  Emmanuel took us to Pepe’s for dinner, saying that it was very good, even though it wasn’t the Indian place we were hoping for (they were closed on Tuesdays).  Pepe’s was aweasome!!  I had a mushroom ravioli that was to die for, Marc and Brian had excellent pizzas, and we all walked away feeling very satisfied.

Once back at the hotel, we had to say our goodbyes.  We managed not to cry, though I did later.  After spending 24 hours a day with peeps for 8 days, you get to know them very well, especially in the circumstances we were in.  They were my mountain family and I love them so much.  I will never forget the moments that filled my heart while we were on the slopes together.  They were a huge part of my life-changing experience and I hope they remain in my life for years to come.


Once goodbyes were over, we had some organizing to do!  The hotel agreed to keep some of our stuff while we were o safari so we wouldn’t have to take it all with us, so we had to pack things up and get ready to leave the next morning.  We put all our dirty clothes into one suitcase and zipped it, not to reopen it until we were home.  We called this bag “Stinky Bag” and made jokes that if anyone had to examine it at airport security, they were NEVER going to forget that smell…


The hotel room - the shower was behind the sliding
glass doors.  I think we each took at least two!!







No comments:

Post a Comment